In order to protect your livestock including horses, they need to be branded. “What is that?”, you might ask. The definition of a brand is a permanent defining mark of ownership. In the United States, brands are widely used to denote different ranches and owners. It is also a great deterrent to theft.The Department of Agriculture is the most likely place that regulates brands in your state. Brands must be registered and approved by the regulating entity. Below, are some information about brands that you might not be aware of. These will give you a better understanding of brands for horses.
Horse Brand – In Detail:
- Branding dates back to the Egyptians. They branded their oxen with hieroglyphics. Ancient Greeks and Romans branded their stock and slaves before conventional branding was introduced from Spain to the new World in 1541.
- Brands are very important in proving ownership of lost or stolen horses. An unbranded animal is called a “slick” and often are practically impossible to identify owners of them.
- Horse brands, in addition, need good photographs of each animal. If stolen you must contact your local branding authorities to have them check slaughter houses and the like. Some also use a computer chip embedded under the skin, though most owners do not use them.
- Popular horse brand positions are left or right hip or left or right shoulder. Thorobredshave a tattoo inside the lower lip for identification.
- Apply your brand properly. The iron should be hot enough (looks like the color of ashes) but not red hot. This mark will accompany your horse their whole life and could be the best gift you give them if applied correctly. Many people that buy horses and find brands on them wonder where they came from. The best way to get information about your horses brand is to contact the local brand inspector. He has all the information you are likely to need about these brands.
Horse Games on the Web:
Not only are horses a favorite animal to own, but now they have many horse games on the web. Recently research indicates that there are many different types of horse games and below are just a few:
- Horse Eventing
- Horse Jumping
- Horse Care
- Horse Dress Up
- Horse Hospital
- Horse Racing and more!
One of the best online horse games is called “Star Stable” in which you can own and raise your own horse. Taking care of it and making sure it has the best and all the necessities are all there for you to do. It sure is a lot cheaper than owning a real horse. Check it out at www.starstable.com. This game and others are easily found by searching for horse games on the web. Most can be played for free and if you like horses, you will love these games! Hopefully, all you horse lovers out there will appreciate this information and maybe you learned something you didn’t know to start with. Horse ownership is a very involved plan to undertake. Do your homework before you decide to buy a horse. These animals are very wonderful to have under the right circumstances so make it a pleasant experience for you and the horse.